Monday, 13 January 2014

January 2014 Favourites

I thought it would be a good idea to kick off with my current favourites in beauty products.  Most of these are the very basic everyday items I really couldn't do without.  Nothing here costs more than a tenner but in my opinion they all do a wonderful job and are great value for money.


Herbal Essences Bee Strong Shampoo and Conditioner
It had been a while since I'd tried anything from the Herbal Essences range, but in a mad dash to grab a bottle of shampoo and conditioner before the shops closed for Christmas I spotted these on offer in Sainsbury's.  Apart from the fact that they were half-price, who could resist trying to achieve the luscious locks of Ms Scherzinger and although I still look nothing like Nicole the products are amazing and one of the best I have tried in a long, long time.  My hair has taken quite a battering recently what with swimming, colouring and straightening, so it needed something extra special and this was it!  The shampoo itself is ultra moisturising, my hair really did feel so much better after just one wash.  Then there is the conditioner.  One word - wow!  My hair hasn't been this soft and sleek since...um...I don't know when.  What's more, it doesn't make my hair a bit lank after a day or so like some other products do, I'll definitely be buying these again.

L'Oreal Elnett Satin Heat Protect Styling Spray (Straight) &
Got2b Tame and Shine Styling Oil
Just for a little extra hair insurance I use a bit of Got2b Tame and Shine Styling Oil on the ends of my hair before blow-drying.  I don't need to do this every time, maybe just once a week.  I haven't been using weekly conditioning treatments for a while, so this is a good alternative, it just gives a bit of moisture and protection to the very driest ends of my hair.  I generally straighten my hair after every wash so I need a good heat protector, this one by L'Oreal is the best I have ever tried.  I spray it on my hair section by section just before running the straighteners over it and it gives me a really glossy finish which lasts 2 or 3 days.  It also protects hair from damage up to 230 deg, which is the temperature GHD straighteners operate at.

Dove Silk Glow Nourishing Body Wash
I think I'd buy this product for the gorgeous feminine smell alone but it's talents don't end there.  This is the only moisturising body wash I ever used that actually makes my body feel less dry after a shower.

Garnier Body Intensive 7 Days Ultra-Replenishing Lotion (Very Dry Skin)
I've never had the best of relationships with body lotions which is a shame because my skin really is very dry.  The problem I've had in the past is that a lotion was either too thin and runny to moisturise properly, or if it was a good moisturiser it tended to have the consistency of lard - not good!  I was lured into trying this one when I saw it on offer for £2 in Sainsbury's.  I can now say that I will faithfully use this body lotion every single day!  It has a lovely light texture, I rub it onto my skin after my shower and by the time I have cleaned my teeth it has all sunk in and there's no sticky residue, but somehow my skin feels very deeply moisturised.  It smells rather lovely too!  I've already bought my next bottle whilst it's still on offer.

Garnier Skin Naturals Simply Essentials Soothing Cleansing Lotion
This was a bit of a gamble for me, but fortunately it has paid off big time.  My skin is so sensitive I don't usually stray away from the likes of Simple or Johnsons for my skin care, but I noticed this was labelled for sensitive skin so I thought I'd be brave and give it a go.  I've had no nasty reactions to this at all.  It's nice and gentle and I can even take my mascara off with this without making my eyes sting - so no need for a separate eye make-up remover - result!

L'Oreal Triple Active Nourish Intensive Hydrating Moisturiser
Again, a bit of stray away from my normal skin care with this and yet again I was persuaded by it being on offer in, yep, you've guessed it, Sainsbury's (hmmm, note to self, must try other beauty product outlets for a change!)  This had a consistency unlike anything I'd ever tried before, it has a rich, velvety feel as you apply it to your skin.  Without wanting to sound like some TV ad, my skin really did feel instantly moisturised and oh my goodness, really, really smooth.  My only criticism with this is that it doesn't have any SPF in it and I normally like my day moisturiser to have an SPF of at least 15.  I probably wouldn't by this specific moisturiser again due to the lack of SPF, but I'll certainly be looking to see if there is another one in this range with SPF and if not, I will be trying out one of the night creams.

So that's about it for my current beauty favourites.  As for makeup, well, before Christmas I had a massive clear-out of make up as I don't like to keep it for too long.  I stripped my make up bag right down to the basics so that I could start afresh for the New Year.  I had a look at some beauty blogs and noticed that the MUA range at Superdrug seemed like a really good bargain so I placed an order and I'm waiting for that to arrive, I'll be doing a review on that as soon as it does.  So don't forget to check back for that, you won't believe how much stuff I got for around ten pounds!!

No comments:

Post a Comment